The Akerman Road Health Centre is a new build situated in a highly residential area of Lambeth. The centre accommodates a range of services including GP clinics, dentistry, children’s services, midwifery, primary care and community health services. It also provides a base for Lambeth’s school nurses, health visitors and district nurses and the council’s adults and community services team.
On the ground, first and second floors, it is rectangular in plan, while the third floor describes an extended cruciform shape. This same motif is evident in all four elevations. The structural grid (of 1.2m x 4.15m) allows a diverse range of room sizes, as well as future- proofing the building as services evolve.
“Willmott Dixon must be congratulated for their commitment to high quality design at Akerman”
Article from the Guardian
“It’s like a slice of heaven,” says one employee. “The patients love it, and I now come to work with a smile on my face.”
sustainable features & achievements:
- Air Source Heat Pump and Air-to-Water Heat Pump
- Natural ventilation strategy
- Large areas of green roof
- The insulation standards exceed Part L by 15 per cent and air tightness exceeds statutory requirements by 30%
- The implementation of an Air Source Heat Pump and Air-to-Water Heat Pump in conjunction with the Natural Ventilation strategy has reduced the building carbon emissions by 29 per cent and achieving an EPC ‘B’ rating
achievements & awards
- BBH Awards 2013: Akerman Road: Winners of the Building Design Class
- BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rating
Customer: Building Better Health Ltd
Contractor: Willmott Dixon
Value: £12.7 million
End User: Lambeth PCT
Find out more about Willmott Dixon here.